Currency Converter



PDF Print E-mail

Study in Australia University - FAQ

Health Examination Requirements

If you have already lodged a visa application, you will be advised by immigration online systems or your case officer which health examinations you are required to complete.

If you have not yet lodged a visa application, the information provided below will help you determine what health examinations (if any) you are likely to be asked to complete.

NOTE: if you want to complete your health examinations before lodging a visa application, you will need to use our My Health Declarations service first which will tell you which health examinations (if any) are required based on the information in the tables below, and the information that you enter in your My Health Declarations form. Please make sure you answer the questions in this form carefully so that the correct health examinations are generated for you where possible.

[Booked A Medical Examination]

What health examinations are required for my temporary visa application?

The table below outlines the health examinations that you will generally be required to undertake for your visa application. It is, however, important to be aware that:

  • if your health is considered to be of special significance, because you are undertaking certain activities in Australia, you will be required to complete additional health examinations as explained further below
  • if you are under 11 years of age, we will ask you to a medical examination instead of a chest x-ray where required
  • if you have already been in Australia in the last 28 days, we include any time you have already spent in Australia when determining the length of stay for your new visa application from a health perspective you may be required to complete additional tests
  • if you have a specific health condition that is identified during your initial health examinations or as part of the visa application process.



No Health Examination Required No Health Examination Required No Health Examination Required


No Health Examination Required No Health Examination Required You must undergo a chest x-ray and a medical examination
For 457 Applicants need to do a chest X-ray examination only
No Health Examination Required You must undergo a chest x-ray examination You must undergo a chest x-ray and a medical examination
For 457 Applicants need to do a chest X-ray examination only

How do I determine my country level of risk?

Your 'country level of risk' will be the one indicated in the table below for your country of citizenship as evidenced by the travel document that you are using to apply for your visa unless you have spent more than three consecutive months in the last five years in another country that has a higher risk level.

LOWER Albania, American Samoa, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Australia, Austria,Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, British West Indies, Canada, Cayman Islands, Channel Islands, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Guadeloupe, Grenada, Ikceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jan Mayen, Jordan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Martinique, Monaco, Montserrat, Netherlands, Netherlands Antilles, New Zealand, Norway,Oman, Pitcairn Islands, Puerto Rico, Saint Helena, Saint Barthélémy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands, Svalbard, Sweden, Switzerland, Tokelau, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom and Northern Ireland, United States of America, United States Virgin Islands, Vatican City
MEDIUM Anguilla, Argentina, Belize, Brazil, Bulgaria, Chile, Colombia, Dominica, Egypt, Fiji, French Polynesia, Honduras, Hungary, Japan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Macedonia (the former Yugoslav Republic of), Maldives, Mauritius, Mexico, Montenegro, New Caledonia, Niue, Panama, Poland, Portugal, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saudi Arabia, Samoa, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Spain, Suriname, Tahiti, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turks and Caico Islands, Uruguay, Venezuela, Wallis and Futuna Islands, West Bank and Gaza Strip
HIGHER Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brunei Darussalam, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, China (People's Republic of), Comoros, Congo (Republic of the), Cote d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast), Croatia, Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea), Democratic Republic of the Congo (Zaire), Djibouti, Dominican Republic, East Timor (Timor Leste), Ecuador, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, French Guiana, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Guam, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Hong Kong SAR of the PRC, Ikndia, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Lithuania, Macau SAR of the PRC, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mayotte, Mauritania, Melanesia, Micronesia (Federated States of), Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar (Burma), Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Northern Mariana Islands, Pakistan, Palau (Republic of), Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Pleasant Island, Qatar, Republic of Korea (South Korea), Reunion Islands, Romania Russian Federation, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Swaziland, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Tibet, Togo, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe

Does special significance apply to me?

If one of the special significance situations in the table below applies to you, you will also be required to undertake the additional health examinations listed, subject to age considerations.

You are from a medium or higher risk country and you have applied for a Student visa and/or are likely to be in aclassroom situation for more than 3 months. Chest x-ray and medical examinations
You are from a medium or higher risk country and likely to enter a health care or hospital environment. Chest x-ray examination
You are pregnant and intend to have the baby in Australia. Hepatitis B test
You intend to work as (or study to be) a doctor, dentist, nurse or paramedic. Chest x-ray and medical examinations
HIV, hepatitis B and C blood tests.
You are likely to work (or be a trainee) at an Australian childcare centre (including preschools and creches). Chest x-ray examination
You are aged 75 years or older and applying for a Visitor visa (subclass 600 and 676 only). Medical examination
For visa applicants outside of Australia: You are an applicant who has spent 28 days or longer on or after 5 May 2014 in Afghanistan, Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Iraq, Israel, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia or Syria, or in a combination of any of these countries.

Where can I get the complete information about study abroad?

Do not worry. We will do counselling and will help you to decide which University/ Institution is suitable for you. Best of all, it's a FREE services.

How can I apply or make an application to institutions?

Once you have made your decision about which institution to apply for, Brightannica gives you free assistance in lodging your application. You do not need to do anything by yourself since we will act on your behalf and inform you as soon as we receive the offer or acceptance letter from institutions.

Do I get any assistance in finding homestay/ accommodation and arranging airport pickup?

Yes, we would give these assistances upon your request. We will then inform you of the options available depending on the institutions you are going to attend.

What do I need to prepare before the departure?

Before your departure, make sure that you bring some documentation such as passport, your offer letter/copy of COE from your institution, orientation letter, previous academic qualification (preferable original), and address of your overseas accommodation. Other than documents, you should find out information about current climate for your destination, clothing requirements, customs/quarantine, and estimated living cost. Also ensure that you have had sufficient fund for your needs on the initial arrival in overseas.

How much is the living cost in Sydney?

Homestay: $230 - $240 week
Flat to share: $100 - $200 per week
Food: $75 - $100 per week

The price above is just estimation, the price could different, that depends from the location.

From our past students' experiences, it's about $1,000 to $1,500 a month and usually student who work part time should be able to pay the living cost themselves.

Can I work in Australia while I study?

Student visa allows you to work within 40 hours every 2 weeks during school time and unlimited during holiday.

Can I extend my stay in Australia?

You can apply for a student visa in Australia while holding another visa (for example, working holiday visa or tourist visa) if you are from Level one assessment countries.

You may apply for a further student visa while in Australia, provided your current visa is not subject to a 'NO FUTHER STAY’ condition.
You will have to apply for new visa before your current visa expires.

How do I study in English course?

For full time general English course, you would be studying around 25 hours a week, usually including 5 hours self access study. School starts at 9:00 or 9:30 and finish at 3:00 or 3:30. You can do self access study using library, language lab or pc lab. The class consists of listening, reading, writing and speaking.

Part time English course is generally 15 hours without self access study. Many schools have part time course in the morning, but some schools offer afternoon and evening part time course.

What’s the weather/ climate like in Sydney?

There are four season in Sydney; summer (December – February), autumn (March – May), winter (June – August) and spring (September –November).

Moreover, schools offer various course including IELTS preparation, EAP English for Academic Purposes), Business English, Conversation, Cambridge preparation, TOEIC preparation and High schools preparation.

Brightannica team



BrightCommunity Login

Taal selecteren:

English Arabic Bulgarian Chinese (Simplified) Chinese (Traditional) Czech Danish Dutch Estonian Finnish French German Greek Hebrew Hindi Indonesian Italian Japanese Korean Lithuanian Norwegian Polish Portuguese Romanian Russian Spanish Swedish Thai Ukrainian Vietnamese